Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Optical Engineer (660469) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Engineer Senior - Optical
What you'll do:
- Work in a team environment with other optical engineers to develop and implement novel state of the art methods for the alignment and integration of space based optical systems.
- Help Ball advance their technology and develop innovative optical systems for space based applications designed for science, defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Support Advanced Program development by contributing to proposals, RFIs, and writing white papers.
- Lead or engage with teams of engineers during optical sub-system development, integration, and alignment.
- Participate in and present at design reviews.
- Assist with the procurement and validation of state of the art optical components.
- Work hands-on with optical hardware as well as performing analytical work and technology development.
- Work in a cross disciplinary environment with engineers and technicians from other engineering fields.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS degree or higher in Optical Engineering or a related technical field, plus 8 or more years of related experience. An advanced degree in Optical Engineering or a related technical field is preferred.
- Experience in optical system development, integration, and alignment.
- Knowledge of optical fabrication technology to support procurement of optics both large and small.
- Solid knowledge and proven experience in optical engineering analysis and design.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficiency with MS Office tools.
- Experience with Matlab and Optical Design/Analysis tools.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred, but not required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Senior Optical Engineer (660469)
Job ID: 660469
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time