Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Engineer II - Spectral Signal & Image Processing (660370) in Dayton, Ohio
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace is a prime contractor leading development teams at AFRL and NASIC. Dayton personnel develop advanced hardware and software systems and provide management services to solve customer problems and create new capabilities. This includes designing and developing software tools and threat models, performing extensive data analyses, and executing modeling and simulations using both internally developed and standard models.
Systems Engineering Solutions provides technical and professional services to defense, intelligence, homeland security and space science markets.
*This position is contingent upon contract award*
Engineer II – Spectral Signal & Image Processing:
What You'll Do:
- Investigate, develop, and demonstrate hyperspectral detection capabilities.
- Conduct hyperspectral imaging (HSI) sensor characterization, exploitation, algorithm development, and field testing.
- Develop signal and image processing algorithms for imagery data.
- Analyze utility of and rapidly develop applications for spectral sensor data.
- Apply rigorous statistical methods and analysis to data collected from a variety of sensors to ensure findings are complete and accurate.
- Develop, enhance, test, and evaluate algorithms to detect, track, characterize, and exploit dim signals.
- Investigate and implement machine learning and pattern recognition algorithms.
- Develop, enhance, test, evaluate, and integrate scientific algorithms in high-level scientific computing languages (MATLAB, IDL, Python). Integrate image and signal processing algorithms into processing & analysis applications.
- Interface and support formal software transition processes, including system/subsystem/component-level design.
- Lead analysis on large, complex projects; may be assigned responsibility for the execution of one or more subtasks of a project or for integrating the results from several subtasks.
- Provide specific technical expertise performing high-level analytical assignments across several complex tasks.
- Apply and interpret standard engineering or scientific theories, concepts, and techniques.
- Develop solutions to problems where established theories and techniques can be identified and some precedent exists.
- Determine your own approach to problem solving and devise solutions.
- Document research through status reports, technical reports, and papers.
- Brief your findings and accomplishments to peers, senior scientists, and the customer through monthly and final presentations.
- Understand and respond to customer needs and expectations.
- Collaborate with peers to develop and document technical solutions to customer requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Collaborate in an R&D; team environment, to include providing guidance and peer review to junior coworkers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s in Physics, Remote Sensing, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field, plus 5 or more years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree with 5 or more years of experience and have an active Top Secret clearance is preferred.
- Strong science and math foundation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Programming skills with preference on high-level scripting languages such as MATLAB, Interactive Data Language (IDL), or Python.
- LWIR or VIS-SWIR HSI Spectral exploitation, analysis, or processing experience is desired.
- Experience with sensor characterization to include spectral radiance, spectral calibration / characterization, or stray light analysis is desired.
- Signal and image processing, pattern recognition, machine learning, or performance characterization experience is desired.
- GPU programming and processing experience is desired.
- Spectral algorithm development experience to include HSI algorithms for atmospheric compensation, reflectance/emissivity retrieval, target detection, material ID, or false alarm mitigation is desired.
- Experience with field collection to include target construction/placement and operations of ground truth equipment including field spectrometers, cameras, and sky scanner are desired.
- Radar, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) exploitation, analysis, or processing experience is desired.
- EO/IR exploitation, analysis, or processing experience is desired.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Engineer II - Spectral Signal & Image Processing (660370)
Job ID: 660370
Location: OH - Dayton (Fairborn)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time