Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Software Engineer (661525) in Dayton, Ohio
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
What you’ll do:
- Full software life cycle development with a focus on agile processes and open source.
- Requirements gathering: Communicating with project stakeholders, documenting, presenting, reviewing and managing software requirements.
- Software design and architecture: Recommending languages and frameworks for software solutions, architecting software systems, and presenting software high level designs to meet project milestones.
- Software implementation: Code and unit test software systems to implement design and meet requirements.
- Software testing: Implement automated unit tests, and continuous integration tests.
- Work with software configuration management systems to manage software repositories, and automate software tests and builds.
- Foster a strong team by mentoring and monitoring junior developers.
- Interact with customers for requirements gathering, software demonstrations, and install/upgrades.
- Present software iterations to project stakeholders, reviewing new software features added and demonstrating current software capabilities.
- Research applicable technologies and recommend tools, libraries, and frameworks that can be used as building blocks in complex software systems.
- Work with classified information which requires thorough knowledge of DoD procedures for the proper usage and safeguarding of classified information.
- Maintain and update required records and reports.
- Present and resolve any technical project difficulties with the team, customers, and subcontractors in a timely manner.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science or a related technical field plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Current knowledge of industry standard software engineering practices, including agile methodologies, open source licensing, unit testing, code development, configuration management, and continuous integration practices is required.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and experience with software development and deployment on Linux systems. Red Hat/CentOS preferred.
- Desired experience: Distributed processing, database (PostgreSQL preferred), image processing (Geospatial preferred), Docker, networking, Angular (or equivalent), cloud computing, enterprise services/microservices, Qt.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Software Engineer (661525)
Job ID: 661525
Location: OH - Dayton (Fairborn)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time