Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Optical Engineer (660331) in Greenbelt, Maryland
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace is a prime contractor leading development teams at AFRL and NASIC. Dayton personnel develop advanced hardware and software systems and provide management services to solve customer problems and create new capabilities. This includes designing and developing software tools and threat models, performing extensive data analyses, and executing modeling and simulations using both internally developed and standard models.
Systems Engineering Solutions provides technical and professional services to defense, intelligence, homeland security and space science markets.
*This position is contingent upon contract award*
Engineer I – Optical
In this exciting career opportunity, you will exercise a high degree of technical capability and experience in the development of space based optical systems. This position is for an optical instrument engineer with a background in space based optical systems from initial concept development through delivery. You will contribute to optical system development from initial business development activities through final system test.
What you'll do:
- Work with other engineers in a collaborative cross-disciplinary environment to develop and implement novel state of the art and innovative optical systems for space based applications designed for science, defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Work with new business development to define top level optical system architectures as well as performing detailed optical design and analysis.
- Support Advanced Program development by writing and briefing proposals, responding to RFIs, writing white papers, and participating in proposal reviews.
- Work with teams of engineers during optical sub-system development.
- Participate in and present at design reviews.
- Lead the procurement and validation of state of the art optical components.
- You will be expected to work hands-on with optical hardware as well as performing analytical work and technology and hardware development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS in optical engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years of experience.
- MS or PhD is preferred.
- Proven technical experience, specifically with tunable and high powered laser systems.
- Experience in system requirements development, architecture definition, design, assembly and integration, and characterization of completed systems is required.
- Detailed optical design and analysis skills. Proficiency in Code V, Zemax, or other optical design code.
- Ability to produce designs within cost, budget, and schedule constraints.
- Ability to develop relationships with key customer, program, and engineering personnel from Government and academia.
- Proposal writing experience.
- Knowledge of modeling tools and techniques to predict and budget optical system performance.
- Experience in instrument prototyping development and demonstration.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Optical Engineer (660331)
Job ID: 660331
Location: MD - Greenbelt
Full/Part Time: Full-Time